We come across many lists that rank cities for one characteristic or another. We have seen a safest cities ranking before from another reputable company, but this list was just released and included a few other OTP cities.
This list was compiled by BackgroundChecks.org based on FBI violent crime stats and propriety BackgroundChecks.org research data. Georgia is the eighth most populous state in the country in terms of population. Rates are normalized per 100,000 residents with the state average being 377 for violent crime and 3,281 for property crime. This is calculated by taking (# of crimes/population) * 100,000.
- Peachtree City: The largest city in Fayette County, Peachtree City is located in the South Metro Atlanta area and is home to 34,300 residents. Golf carts are a principal means of transportation in this community, and more than 9,000 residents here use them. The city has been named on the list of best places to live and best places to raise kids. It is also the safest place to live in the state of Georgia, with a violent crime rate of 42.7, and the chance of being involved in a property crime here just 1.3%.
- Acworth: Located in Cobb County, Acworth is a city with a current population of 20,400 residents. Nicknamed “The Lake City”, it sits in the foothills of the North Georgia mountains adjacent to Lake Altoona and Lake Acworth. Living in Acworth is also a safe choice, with a violent crime rate of 52.6 and the chance of being affected by property crime just 1.9%.
- Grovetown: Part of the Augusta metropolitan area, Grovetown is located in Columbia County. A city of 12,300 residents, one its biggest employers is John Deere Commercial Products. This is also a safe place to call home, with a violent crime rate of 59.8 and the chance of being involved in a property crime here just 2.1%.
- Alpharetta: Considered an affluent suburb of Atlanta, Alpharetta is located in north Fulton County. Home to 57,500 residents, the city has many ongoing events, festivals, and is the headquarters for several large corporations including Verizon Wireless South and McKesson. The violent crime rate in Alpharetta is 70, and residents have just a 2% chance of being affected by property crime.
- Canton: The county seat of Cherokee County, Canton is home to 22,900 residents. A fast-growing city that has tripled in size as the suburbs of Atlanta have expanded north, Canton is served by the Cherokee County School District and has many ongoing improvement projects underway. Canton is another safe place to call home, with a violent crime rate of 76.2 and the chance of being involved in a property crime here just 1.7%.
- Kennesaw: A city in Cobb County, Kennesaw is a part of the greater Atlanta area. Home to 29,700 residents, the city has a unique history and has been named as both one of the nation’s “10 best towns for families” and among the top 25 “most uniquely American cities and towns.” The violent crime rate in Kennesaw is 98.3, and residents have a 1.6% chance of being affected by property crime.
- Duluth: Located in Gwinnett County and considered a suburb of Atlanta, Duluth is home to 26,600 residents. Duluth has been ranked by Forbes as one of the best places to move and is known as the site of the Infinite Energy Arena and the popular Duluth Fall Festival. Another safe choice in Georgia, the violent crime rate here is 127, and the chance of being involved in a property crime in Duluth is 2%.
- Pooler: Located northwest of Savannah, Pooler is a city in Chatham County that is home to 19,100 residents. One of Georgia’s fastest-growing cities, Pooler has been expanding its retail outlets and has become a center for commercial development in the area, attracting several large businesses. The violent crime rate in Pooler is 136, and residents have a 2.5% chance of being affected by property crime.
- Suwanee: A city in Gwinnett County, Suwanee is home to 17,600 residents. Rated by Kiplinger as the 3rd best place to live in the country for raising families and by Family Circle as among the nation’s 10 best towns for families, this is a desirable and safe place to call home. The violent crime rate here is 138.3, and the chance of being involved in a property crime in Suwanee is 2.1%.
- Loganville: Located in Walton and Gwinnett counties, the city of Loganville has a current population of 10,400 residents. The city encompasses just 6 square miles, is served by two different school districts, and is the site of a popular botanical gardens. Living in Loganville is a safe choice, with a violent crime rate of 140 and the chance of being affected by property crime in the city just 2.7%.
- Roswell: A city in north Fulton County, Roswell is home to 94,000 residents. The state’s seventh largest city, Roswell has 800 acres of parks, over 5,000 registered businesses, and was named by CNN as one of the top places to live in the U.S. The violent crime rate in Roswell is 143.3, and residents have a 1.8% chance of being involved in a property crime.
- Fayetteville: Just 22 miles south of downtown Atlanta, Fayetteville is a city in central Fayette County. Home to 15,900 residents, Fayetteville is the county seat and the site of the popular Fun Junction USA amusement park. This city continues to be a safe place to call home, with a violent crime rate of 153.4 and the chance of being affected by property crime here just 2.4%.
- Woodstock: Located in Cherokee County, Woodstock is a fast-growing city that is considered a southern suburb of Atlanta. Home to 23,800 residents, the city is divided into three main sections: Towne Lake, Historic Downtown, and The Ridgewalk. The violent crime rate here is 170.7, and the chance of being involved in a property crime in Woodstock is 2.4%.
- Dallas: Located in Paulding County, Dallas is a city with a current population of 12,600 residents. Also serving as the county seat, the city is served by the Paulding County School District and has a trailhead on the popular Silver Comet Trail adjacent to the city’s Chamber of Commerce. The violent crime rate in Dallas is 178.5, and residents have a 2.1% chance of being affected by property crime.
- Snellville: An affluent city in Gwinnett County, Snellville is home to 18,200 residents. The city has been working to develop a new central Towne Center and is known for its annual Snellville Days Festival that draws crowds from all over the Southeast. The violent crime rate here is 180 and the chance of being involved in a property crime in Snellville is 4.5%.
To see the complete list of the safest cities, visit their website.
For more scoop on OTP cities, visit our Extra Scoop category.