Atlanta-based Taco Mac and Woodstock-based Reformation Brewery have partnered for the fifth annual Southern Home Brewer’s Challenge. This exciting pro-am competition has one winning home brew recipe produced by a commercial brewery and sold at Taco Mac restaurants across the Southeast. This seems like a great opportunity for the person who has been tweaking their brew and believes its the best!
Throughout the months of June and July, beer submissions will be accepted at specific Atlanta-area Taco Mac locations. Eligible dates and locations are listed below. The Southern Home Brewer’s Challenge panel of judges, made up of representatives from Taco Mac and Reformation, along with other Atlanta-area beer luminaries, will judge the submissions throughout the month of July.
Once the winner has been announced on July 22nd, the Reformation Brewery will take some time to fine tune the winning recipe to work within Reformation brew system specifications. Once a final recipe is reached, the beer will go into commercial production. The release date will be targeted for the very first opportunity in 2017 during Reformation’s Beer of the Month in November.
Submissions will be accepted at the following locations on the specified dates:
• Tuesday, June 6th at Taco Mac in Woodstock
• Friday, June 9th at Taco Mac in Kennesaw
• Tuesday, June 13th at Taco Mac at Prado
• Friday, June 16th at Taco Mac in Crabapple
• Tuesday, June 20th at Taco Mac at Windward Pkwy
• Friday, June 23rd at Taco Mac in Peachtree City
• Tuesday, June 27th at Taco Mac in Kennesaw
• Friday, June 30th at Taco Mac at Metropolis
• Tuesday, July 11th at Taco Mac in Duluth
• Friday, July 14th at Taco Mac at Woodstock
Things to think about when planning your submission:
• No more than two styles per brewer.
• The winning beer needs to be produced in a large quantity, so choose ingredients that are readily available.
• Reformation brews mostly ales, and in the interest of not tying up their equipment with a lengthy lagering process, ale styles would be preferred.
All submissions must be:
• Two bottles of twelve ounces each. No big bottles and no growlers.
• Have an accompanying information sheet (will be provided at a later date)
• Received at the stores specified above, on the dates specified above, between 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm.
• There will be someone on site to receive the samples during those times only. This will prevent loss, breakage, or anything else that would prevent samples from getting to the tasting panel in tact.
• If you miss the submission date, you must choose a different location to drop off your beer. If you leave it at a location before or after the submission date and time, it will not get into the judging process.
Reformation will then fine tune the recipe to work in its brew system for commercial production, aiming for a release date during Reformation’s Beer of the Month slot in November.
Who do you know that should enter? Save us a sample, maybe we can be judges one year!
Follow us on Facebook for the latest updates.