It has been years since I’ve been to The Art Barn, but a friend recently went with her children and said it is better than ever!
The adorable six-acre Morning Glory Farm in charming Hickory Flat is home to The Art Barn. My children and I used to go when they were young. Now I can’t wait to bring my five-year-old nephew when he is in town from the big city of New York and watch those eyes light up with animals and agricultural activites!
You always want to warn the children that the animals are nice, but screaming at them isn’t a good thing. Animals don’t like crying children — you have to put on your happy (not scared) face and enjoy the experience.
When you visit some of the things you might do are:
- have hands on time with ALL the animals in a safe, supervised, friendly environment.
- meet chickens, ducks, bunnies, lambs, goats, cows, donkeys, horses, & pigs!
- learn lots of fun farm facts about each animal and what their job is on the farm.
- see what is growing in Mr. McGregor’s Garden for the season & try to count the bunnies.
- hop a hayride pulled by our antique ’57 Ford tractor Matilda & sing a few favorite farm songs.
- check out the Busy Bee Garden & see where honey comes from.
- peek into the Peanut butter & Jelly Garden and see what is sprouting.
- egg-splore the hen house and see if you can find any GREEN EGGS!
And you get to create a piece of art capturing your special day.
This is great for young birthday parties, field trips and girl-scouts groups. Perfect for all ages to enjoy a day at a working farm. That’s the scoop (not the animal poop)!